Sunday, October 13, 2013

Revisit of Desolation Lake with Moose Sighting 10-13-2013

I was looking for a hike to do today.  With the weather iffy and with me traveling solo, I wanted something I sort of knew and nothing too strenuous.  One of the more easier hikes I've done was the Lake Desolation Trail, a 3.75 mile trip to a secluded and quiet mountain lake.  With the leaves in the upper Wasatch mountains giving way to bare branches, this was probably my last chance of seeing the Fall Glory.

Gentle readers will be reminded that about 6 weeks ago I did this trail.  When I left this morning it was in the low 50's with some sprinkles of rain.  I was a little worried about the rain so I packed a water resistant wind breaker and an umbrella.  I figured if it got wet enough I'd simply call it a day and head back.  At least the 15 mile drive would be scenic.

When I got to the trail there was a dark pall over the canyon with looming clouds.  There were some other cars in the parking lot so I certainly wasn't the only one.  I threw on my gear and started up the trail.

About .8 miles into the trail (I was using my Garmin) I came across 3 moose.  They were about 50 - 100 yards away on a lower portion of the canyon.  Enough to check them out and still be safe.  There were a few other onlookers checking them out too.  With a baby in tow, I certainly didn't want to mess with them.  They can get very defensive with their young.

The rest of the walk to Desolation Lake was pretty quiet.  Although about three quarters of the way up it started to snow.  Fluffy flakes flew down and quickly dissolved on the trail making a soupy, muddy mess.  Some of it wound up sticking.  At 9300 feet I could seem remnants of previous deposits.

On the way up I passed about a dozen people -- including a quartet of serious looking bow hunters (I did hear gun fire while up there).

Once I got to the lake it was like a mini blizzard was happening.  It was snowing like crazy and suddenly my windbreaker seemed insufficient for the job.  Luckily I had packed a heavy duty sweat shirt, but I was suddenly wishing I had a winter hat (I had my trusty yellow running hat on).

I didn't spend a lot of time at the lake since I had been there before.  I also was starting to get nervous with the snow.  Again, I was a bit under geared for the weather.  I did want to hit Desolation Peak though, which according to the maps was about another .75 miles beyond the lake.

I am glad I made the venture up there.  While at times it was scary because of the intense snow and wind, the views -- especially when the snow stopped -- were incredible.  I did wind up goofing around on the sub trails up there for a good mile or two snapping a ton of pictures.

The trails eventually go into other canyons -- which would require someone to come pick me up.  Perhaps next summer.

Either way, this was a thoroughly enjoyable hike.  I mostly maintained 20 minute miles going up (a solid clip of a walk and about 17 minutes downhill).  Including goofing around at the top, about 3.5 hours. Total distance: 10 miles on the button.

Enjoy the pictures.

Lake Desolation Trail
In the parking lot.

Lake Desolation Trail

Lake Desolation Trail

Lake Desolation Trail

Lake Desolation Trail

Lake Desolation Trail
Upwards we go

Lake Desolation Trail
Moose!

Lake Desolation Trail - Moose Sighting
Moose!

Moose!


Lake Desolation Trail


Lake Desolation Trail



Lake Desolation Trail
Line of birch trees


Lake Desolation Trail



Storm coming in

Snowing!

Lake Desolation Trail
Snowing!

Lake Desolation Utah
Snowing at Lake Desolation

Lake Desolation Utah

Lake Desolation Utah

Lake Desolation Utah

Climbing the rim above the lake

Climbing the rim above the lake

More trails to explore

Storm above - that's where I am going



Heber Valley / Park City area








Lake Desolation Utah
Storm clearing up


All clear now

All clear now

Lake Desolation Utah
All clear now









Awesome site



Climbed to a peak





I was at the top of the peak



Next time's hike

Cool!

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment