Saturday, February 28, 2015

This week in running Feb 22 - Feb 28


Day Mileage / Workout Comments
Sunday 16.5Long run but at 9:20 min / mile pace. Rockin!
Monday 4 Easy
Tuesday off Resting my sore foot - walked quite a bit today
Wednesday off Resting my sore foot - walked quite a bit today
Thursday 7 Medium Pace - Metatarsal problems
Friday 5 Medium Pace - Metatarsal problems 
Saturday 9.5 Salt Lake Track Club 15K Race in Magna Utah
Total miles for the week: 42 - YTD: 389.75


Week's Summary


I was really hoping to put in a high mileage week this week.  Unfortunately my right foot had other ideas.

Regular readers know that I have been battling either Morton's Neuroma or some sort of painful metatarsal pain.  Basically right behind the toes and in the ball of the foot, it hurts -- a lot.  I went for a walk at lunch time early in the week and it hurt from the get go.  So running was pretty much out of the question.

I wound up icing it down regularly and hitting the NSAID routine.  That helped a lot.  Also, on Friday I went to Wasatch Running Center and bought a metatarsal pad.  The jury is still out on whether it is helping (or not) but for $6 I figured it was worth the money.  From all that I've read, it seems rest, ice, and anti-inflamatories are the best course of treatment.  Serious cases, however, could require cortisone-like shots or even surgery.

This week's mileage, again if my toes cooperate, will hopefully see a boost in mileage.


Money Woes


Well that trip to the emergency room continues to haunt me.  A few weeks ago I got a bill from the hospital for about $1600 -- the amount that my insurance didn't cover.  To add insult to injury, I got a bill the other day for about $350 from the fire department.  So right now, some of my spring destination races are in jeopardy.

Luckily the hospital has set up a monthly payment plan, but still, this is a pretty good chunk of change.

Update on my Cat Friend


Readers of last week's write-up may recall that I met a cat on my run, who I thought was homeless.  Each day I was bringing it cat food and it would gobble it up like it was starving.  I hadn't seen the cat for a few days and was worried about it.  I happened to ask a guy walking a dog if he had seen it.  Turns out it was HIS cat and he hadn't seen it.  I've seen the guy before and I know he lives close to the trail.  Apparently, Snowball, is let out and likes to sit on the trail and greet passerby's.

So sadly, there are Missing Cat signs near where I used to see him.  Hopefully he is in good hands.


Upcoming Races


If the weather (and my foot holds) I am looking at doing the Striders Winter Race Circuit - 10 Mile race up in Ogden.  It will likely be a rinse-and-repeat race of the 10K I did last week. I am so looking forward to the hot springs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment