Sunday, April 26, 2015

This week in running 4/19 - 4/25


Day Mileage / Workout Comments
Sunday 10.75Kicked some serious butt today. No watch but felt fast. Probably 10 miles at half marathon pace or better.
Monday 10.75 Dragged myself through this workout. Started out slow and was dead at the end
Tuesday 10.75 Came back to life today. Picked up the pace as I progressed.
Wednesday 5 Easy running with dead legs
Thursday 7 Started out slow and then had a fast finish for the last 3.5 miles
Friday off About 5 miles of walking.
Saturday 18.75 Winter Striders 30K Race in Eden Utah
Total miles for the week: 63- YTD: 809

Week's Summary


I was shooting for overall volume this week -- with the Ogden Marathon in less than a month, I needed a strong week of just miles.  This is all coming off of a marathon less than 2 weeks ago as well -- so I had to approach this a bit cautiously.  I would've loved to have gotten a few more miles in, but I didn't want to come to the 30K race on Saturday dragging.

I certainly wish the marathon was only 30K.  Usually during a marathon I am good until about mile 20(ish).  Having a race that ends just before this mark would allow me to go a bit harder without having to worry (too much) about bonking.

Other than a little bit of a neuroma that speaks up every now and then, I've been feeling pretty good.  I've been foam rolling, stretching and doing my "core" work after most every run.  I feel like that is helping as well and it does get easier the more I do it.  It is sort of nice after a run to do my planks and such in the grass at the park.

This week will sort of be more of the same but a little bit of a cut back.  In 3 weeks time I'll be posting about the Ogden Marathon, so somewhat officially a taper has begun.  Unfortunately, I discovered the best hotels in Ogden are fully booked that night.  I am done staying at dives so I'll probably be staying in Layton.  It will still be a super early morning, with a 5AM bus ride to the top of the canyon.

I was going to do the Salt Lake City Marathon or the West Mountain Marathon last weekend, but after a week of just feeling flat and dead I opted to skip it.  With a full schedule coming up, I didn't want to risk injury or having a 4:30+ marathon.  That would not have helped my confidence at all.

Upcoming Races


Looking for something to do next weekend, I decided to pony up for the North Ogden Half Marathon.   Usually 2 weeks out from a marathon you do 12 miles.  So I figured why not do 13 on a hilly course and see the sites?  Plus it'll give me a good excuse to go to the hot springs afterwards.  I was going to do this race last year but wimped out on it or the weather turned sour -- I forget which.  Hopefully I was one of the first 250 to sign up, otherwise no shirt / goodie bag.


Here's my schedule though:

5/2: North Ogden Half Marathon - Ogden  Utah (registered)
5/16: Ogden Marathon - Ogden Utah (registered).
6/13: Helena Governor's Cup Marathon (in planning stages)
7/11: Dam 15 Miler in Jordanelle / Park City Utah (definite)
9/5: Jackson Hole Wyoming Marathon (very very probable - I booked the hotel already)
11/15: Las Vegas Marathon (definite)

No comments:

Post a Comment