Sunday, April 24, 2016

This Week in Running 4/17 - 4/23




DayMileage / WorkoutComments
SundayOffHiking about 6 miles
Monday5Easy
Tuesday85 at 8:15 effort. Solid tempo effort
Wednesday5Easy
Thursday6Medium effort with strides at the end
FridayOffRoughly 5 miles of walking throughout the day
Saturday18.25Winter Striders 30K Race
Total miles for the week: 42.25 - YTD: 794.5

Week's Summary



Well, another week of decent training.  I actually got a rock-solid speed work out too, on Tuesday.  Normally, my speed workouts are all about intervals of various distances.  Instead, this time I decided to try and run at roughly 10K pace for 5 miles.  It went fairly well and it definitely was taxing.  I hate to say it, but that pace used to be my marathon pace.  I have work to do!

The weather continues to be promising here.  There has been some warmish afternoons, which has forced me to start running after dinner, rather than the minute I get home.  I really don't like the heat and am not looking forward to summer.  I sort of wish the weather could remain spring and fall year round.

Today's run along the Jordan River Bike Trail

Also, on the plus side, the bike trail finally turned on their drinking fountains again!  I really love being able to take a drink every 2 miles or so and it helps for long runs.  Thank you!


Also, on Sunday I did not run.  Instead I took my training to the trails on the other side of down.  It has been a while since I've gotten some altitude and hill training.  I was treated to some really nice views too of the city:




The rest of the week was spent sort of saving my energy for the Winter Striders 30K.   While I wasn't going to try and break any records for the race, I still wanted to make a good showing.  Also, not having the energy to complete the 30K in good form would have dented my self-confidence in the Fort Collins marathon.


Colorado Marathon / Fort Collins Marathon


Speaking of which -- this coming weekend is the Fort Collins marathon. I am definitely looking forward to taking down yet another state.  I have yet to run at all in Colorado and this course looks promising -- with a net downhill.

So far the weather looks good too.  Cool and a chance of rain -- but anything can happen in a week.  So long as it isn't hot or super windy, I am down to run.

As usual, I am hoping to hit in the low 4 hours.  We'll see when I get there what I am capable of and what the conditions are like.  

Upcoming Races


I am still looking at doing something for May 6th.  A lot of it depends upon how quickly I recover from Fort Collins.  North Ogden has their half marathon, which was a joy to do last year -- and if I register this week it is only $45.  I have been toying in my head about going to Shiprock, NM for a race. That involves some travel (over night stays) as well as at least half a day off from work and yet more miles on my car.  We'll see... it doesn't sound sane, but it does sound like a cool adventure.



05/01: Colorado / Fort Collins Marathon - Fort Collins, CO (Confirmed)
05/06: I'll be doing something -- trust me.
06/??: Looking at the Lamoille Canyon Marathon. Perhaps Casper again?
06/24: Utah Midnight Half Marathon - Provo Utah (Confirmed)
11/13: Las Vegas Marathon (Confirmed)
04/15: Salt Lake City Marathon (Confirmed) (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment