Sunday, September 4, 2016

This Week in Running 8/28 - 9/3


Fall flowers abound on the bike trail


DayMileage / WorkoutComments
SundayOffHike about 5 miles in Adams Canyon
Monday7Medium paced. Felt tired / sluggish
Tuesday7Medium paced with 1.5 miles hard at the end.
Wednesday6Easy
ThursdayOff
FridayOff
Saturday7Swiss Days 10K Race
Total miles for the week: 30; YTD: 1540.5

Week's Summary


Fall flowers abound on the bike trail


Well this week turned into a bit of a recovery week for me.  After hitting 60 miles for last week, I needed some down time.  While the week initially started off as pretty good, I ran out of gas around Wednesday.

I felt sore and just really tired.  It didn't help that the weather was also fairly warm.  I think this week was summer's last hurray, as the hot summer of 2016 starts to fade away.

I also wanted to race well for the Swiss Day's 10K race.  After studying last year's results, I saw that it was a big race and I had half a shot at placing in my age group.  So I wanted to come in with the best possible chance.  My legs were still kind of dead, but this was one of the better weeks for me.

I also got in a surprise speed workout on Tuesday night.  I was going fairly easy -- or meant to go easy and at a water fountain break, another runner got in behind me and eventually passed me.  I decided, I'd try and hang with him as long as possible and it definitely forced me to pick up my pace.  Hopefully he didn't think I was angry with him but I thanks to him, I got an impromptu workout at the tail end of my 7 mile run.


My buddy Snowball

Friend on the Trail


Now that the weather has gotten cooler, my favorite cat is back out on the bike trail.  I've seen him a lot and he knows my schedule.  He sits under a bridge and waits for me to come by.  I usually carry some sort of dry cat food for him, which I am happy to share.  It is near the end (or start of my run) so I am happy to sit and talk to him.  He isn't a stray but an incredibly intelligent cat.  Even at the end of a crappy day, I know I have a good friend waiting for me.


Still Sore -- a Lot


With all the running I am doing, I find myself still sore.  I have various nagging aches and pains -- none too terrible or that hinder my running, but definitely warning signs.  In some ways, I am looking forward to the end of November when my racing and training will or should dial back a bit.  I did listen to my body (sort of) this week and took some rest.  I am going to have to rethink my plans of running all the miles that I do and find some cross-training activities.  Perhaps it is time to join a gym again?

Upcoming Races


09/10: Race to the Angel Half Marathon - Wells, NV (Confirmed)
09/17: Take it to the Lake Half Marathon -  Ely, NV (Probable but leaning to very probable)
10/09: Lake Tahoe Marathon Lake Tahoe CA / NV (Confirmed)
11/13: Las Vegas Marathon - Las Vegas, NV (Confirmed)
04/15: Salt Lake City Marathon - Salt Lake City, UT (Confirmed) (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment