Sunday, September 25, 2016

This Week in Running 9/18 - 9/24


On the road to Pilot Peak


DayMileage / WorkoutComments
SundayOffDid some hiking
Monday73 x 1M in 8:00, 7:53, 8:07 with .25 easy.
Tuesday6Pretty much an easy run
Wednesday7Average run
Thursday5Solid effort
FridayOff
Saturday13Long run through the desert.
Total miles for the week: 38; YTD: 1683.5

Week's Summary

About right on target in terms of a total mileage for the week.  I am one week into a 3 week taper and this week I kept the overage mileage down a bit, but kept the intensity up.  It really helps to have cooler weather as well to help with training.

I would definitely describe Monday as a "hard" day as well as Thursday.  I call it a success when I am able to get in something other than an average pace.


Curse of the Fall Season


One of the best reasons to run in the fall is the cooler weather.  Also, the trees start changing color and everything gets 10 times prettier.  It is "thee" season for runners.

But with it comes a bit of restraint -- especially for those running marathons.  I clearly fall into this category as I'd love to put in a long run almost every day.  But I have to be cautious in terms of tapering -- and not winding up injured or exhausted when I get to the starting line.  

26.2 miles is a tough endeavor for the average person (and I am pretty much average) and while some ultra runners can probably mail them in, I do have to prepare and train for them. So often times the final weeks before a marathon are filled with turmoil for me:  I want to go out for a run but I know I have to rest.


Desert Run


This past weekend, Wendover -- one of my favorite haunts -- threw me a free room for a night. Being the sucker that I am, I decided to take them up on it and as usual, I woke up early Saturday morning and decided to hit the trails north of town.

I went on a trail about due north east and I hadn't been out that way in a while.  I think last time I got out on this particular ATV trail, I had to turn around after a bit because I was out of time (check out time is 11 AM) but this time I got a head start and it was cool enough that I wasn't super worried about getting dehydrated.

I did make it to the top of the ridge and was greeted with the stunning view of Pilot Peak, which had a dusting of snow at the top.  Just a beautiful morning with just enough sun to keep you warm and a breeze to cool you off.

Some running moments are magical, and this was one of those.

Heading out of town


Into the void














Another 100 yards and I lose cell reception





Heading back into Wendover UT

Post Desert Run


After my run, I was high tailing it back to the hotel when I passed by the local elementary school. There, I sometimes (not always) see some pronghorn antelope there hanging around.  I was shocked when I saw what looked to be the entire herd.

They are super skittish and I was hoping I could sneak up / cautiously approach them but they weren't having any of my shananigans.  I did snap a few good pictures of them though.

You just never know what you are going to see on your runs.












Upcoming Races



10/09: Lake Tahoe Marathon Lake Tahoe CA / NV (Confirmed)
11/13: Las Vegas Marathon - Las Vegas, NV (Confirmed)
11/26: South Davis Recreation Center Thanksgiving Day 5K - Bountiful, UT
04/15: Salt Lake City Marathon - Salt Lake City, UT (Confirmed) (2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment