Saturday, December 3, 2016

This Week in Running 11/27 - 12/3




Scene from my 17 mile run - cold, wet and snowy now



DayMileage / WorkoutComments
Sunday13Half marathon paced run.
Monday5Snowy run at medium pace
Tuesday7Another medium paced run with a few miles at tempo pace
Wednesday5All Easy
Thursday7Nice effort for a chilly night
Friday4Easy on a cold night.
Saturday17Saturday long run.
Total miles for the week: 58; YTD: 2069.5


Week's Summary


Well, this week was a high mileage week -- sort of by accident.  I didn't run much on Saturday and on Sunday it was my birthday and I needed to log a few miles to burn off my buffet calories.  Also, this Saturday I felt it was time to get in a long run.  With chilly, but still ideal running weather, I managed to do a very nice long run.  Anything about 25F is short's weather for me (mind the wind however).

It is amazing how much less water I go through now that the temperatures are very mild. I think that scares some people, as I've noticed a lot less people on the bike trail.  It also is likely that people are taking some time off since the race scene here in Salt Lake is a bit on a hiatus.


Turning 47


Enjoying my free meal at Denny's on my Birthday

Last Sunday (the 27th) was my 47th birthday . I don't get too depressed over birthdays.  I use them as milestones (isn't everything a milestone when you are a runner) to ascertain what I am doing is making myself happy.

I like to ask myself what I have accomplished in the past year?  What are my goals?  What goals have I abandoned?  What is going to make myself happy? And what can I do t better my life and those in it?

For the most part I am happy.  I am gainfully employed and more days than not, I enjoy going to work.  That is important -- at least to me.  I've been in situations where I am not happy at work and it tends to permeate the rest of one's life (this is especially true for men).

I like where I live and I am very fortunate to live near an awesome bike trail.  I had worried a bit that running on the same route, day after day, would get old.  I have heard from other people who find the bike trail to be dull.  But I love it.  One thing I do know about myself is that I like a routine.

Could I be happier?  Could I be doing more?  Most definitely.  The plan is to identify areas that I need improvement in and execute a plan -- just like running.  You figure out what you need to do to prepare to get yourself from Point A to Point B.  It wasn't over night that I was able to run 5, 8 or even 13 miles.  It took time, effort and patience.  

Life is like that too.  The key is though to not let it go to waste or to realize too late what truly makes one happy.

Sorry for philosophizing but hopefully my ramblings help someone. 

Weight Loss 


Sheepishly, I just jumped on the scale.  All I can say is -- oops.  The Thanksgiving / birthday week killed any progress I made.  I usually count my weigh-in first thing in the morning, but as of this writing (in the middle of the afternoon) I am checking in at 185 (fully clothed).  Nearly 5 pounds of gain since last week.  

I suspect, though, as the holiday meals thin out, I'll get back on track.

Upcoming Races


I do have a bit of PTO (personal time off) from work I need to use by a certain deadline.  It is either a use it or lose it scenario.  So I am definitely shopping for a January or February marathon.  Hopefully, I'll have something to report soon.  I am trying to knock off another state.


01/14: St George Half Marathon - St George, UT (Confirmed)
02/11: Winter Striders Race Circuit 5K - Ogden UT (Confirmed)
02/25: Winter Striders Race Circuit 10K - Ogden UT (Confirmed)
03/04: Legacy Half Marathon - Bountiful, UT (Confirmed)
03/18: Winter Striders Race Circuit 10 Mile - Ogden UT (Confirmed)
04/08: Winter Striders Race Circuit Half Marathon - Huntsville, UT (Confirmed)
04/15: Salt Lake City Marathon - Salt Lake City, UT (Confirmed) (2017)
04/29: Winter Striders Race Circuit 30K - Huntsville, UT (Confirmed)
06/24: Utah Midnight Half Marathon - Provo, UT (Confirmed)
07/07: Utah Midnight (Legacy) Half Marathon - Farmington, UT (Confirmed)
11/12: Las Vegas Marathon - Las Vegas, NV (Confirmed)

No comments:

Post a Comment