Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area - Summerlin, NV


Introduction


For a while now, the Red Rock National Conservation Area has been on my must-do list.  It is located about 25 minutes west of the Las Vegas Strip, and about 10 minutes from where my aunt lives. After I ran the St George Half Marathon this past weekend, I did stay at my aunt's place for two nights.  

So on Sunday morning we headed on over to the conversation area.

First thing to take note of: There are going to be lots of other people there.  This is no longer a secret to people.  I had been warned that on Christmas, the park was a zoo.  This weekend, being Martin Luther King Day weekend was also fairly busy.

We had to have waited in a slow moving line of cars for about 15 minutes before getting in.

The park basically consists of about 13 miles of paved road where you can pull off into various sections and hike, look at the rock formations, or have a picnic.  

We stopped at all the major locations and took pictures and I did a few mini hikes to get a vibe of what was there. 

This place is definitely a place to check out during the cooler months.  There isn't much shade here and while there are bathrooms, I didn't see any concessions or water here.  Also, the road is one-way, so the only way out is to drive the entire 13 mile circuit and re-enter.  

There are some trails that looked suitable for running but I didn't follow them that far.  Many of them were listed as difficult, so my guess is that once you get beyond the parking area (some distance) they get more challenging and rugged.

I took a bunch of photos and I look forward to checking out this place in more detail next time I am out there:















These slabs of rock were quarried and smoothed about a hundred years ago

These slabs of rock were quarried and smoothed about a hundred years ago

These slabs of rock were quarried and smoothed about a hundred years ago

























No comments:

Post a Comment